Friday, June 13, 2014
Celebrate #WorldGinDay - Saturday, June 14 - with these Michigan-Made Spirits
World Gin Day (#WorldGinDay) is a celebration of all things gin – giving connoisseurs a legitimate “excuse” to mix up a cocktail and learn about all of the exceptional gins that are currently on the market – especially those #MadeInMichigan.
Currently, a handful of gins are made in the Great Lakes State, including:
• Bilberry Black Hearts Organic Gin – Journeymen Distilling, Three Oaks
• Civilized Gin – Civilized Spirits, Traverse City
• Coppercraft Gin – Coppercraft Distilling, Holland
• Flatlanders Gin – Flat Landers Distillery, Grand Rapids
• Graying Gin – Two Birds Distilling, Kalamazoo
• Jack Pine Gin – Northern Latitudes Distillery, Lake Leelanau
• Knickerbocker Gin & Barrel Aged Knickerbocker Gin – New Holland Artisan Spirits, Holland
• Liberator Gin & Liberator Old Tom Gin – Valentine Distilling, Ferndale (Detroit)
• Old Cockney Gin – Two James Artisan Spirits, Detroit
• Peninsula Gin – Grand Traverse Distillery, Traverse City
• Ugly Dog Gin – Ugly Dog Distilling, Chelsea
Michigan’s craft distilling industry is growing at a rapid pace – ranking #4 in the nation in terms of overall number of distilleries (behind California, Oregon and Washington). To help unify the interests of the more than two dozen Michigan distilleries, the non-profit Michigan Craft Distillers Association was formed in 2014 to market the individual member businesses, their products and events, but also help bring a voice for the industry when it comes to legislative issues that affect the overall beverage industry.